Monday, February 1, 2016

The Cheese and the Worms and Ginzburg's Style


I originally found myself frustrated with The Cheese and the Worms because I felt as though Ginzburg was making Menocchio’s view on religion out to be absolutely insane.  However, while I think Menocchio’s analogy of the angels being the worms is a pretty bad one, I still felt like I knew where he was trying to go with it.  It didn’t seem like Menocchio meant the analogy as literally as Ginzburg initially made it seem.  However, I was relieved when Ginzburg later came to the aid of Menocchio and explained what exactly Menocchio might have meant through this awkward but not outlandish analogy.  I think that Ginzburg laid out the book this way to make for a better read, which is something that I really appreciated. Ginzburg not only made the story a really enjoyable read, but he also brought in details from outside sources in a delightful way.  One way in which he did so was by explaining the “doctrine of the spontaneous generation of life from inanimate matter, fully accepted by all the intellectuals of the day” (54).  I expected this explanation to pop up at some point during the book since it seems so relevant and fundamental to the entire story and Menocchio’s analogy, but I didn’t know when this doctrine was actually held or when it was disproven, which I learned from this book.  So, while this explanation was appreciated but also somewhat expected, Ginzburg really blew me away when he caught an instance in which Menocchio slightly altered what he read in “chapter 148 of Mandeville’s Travels” (43).  Whereas in Travels the inhabitants of the “island of Dondun” believed that it was a sin to allow a man to grow thin in his lifetime, Menocchio somehow twisted this into believing that if a man tasted bad then he had sinned a lot during life.  I think this was my favorite part of the book.  While there’s obviously no way that I’ll be able to do what Ginzburg has done for my final paper, I learned a lot about microhistory from this book and will definitely look to it for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment