Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Kongo

I agree that much of the book lays out the historical context of the story. It has a long list of characters that can be hard to keep track of. What I appreciated was the opportunity to read a history of Africa during the early colonial, slave trading period. The book tells of a transitory time of language, religion, and culture. I especially enjoyed the etymology.

Did we decide that a micro history has to be about a person? I think everything we have read has had a biographical element to it, but is it necessary? Can micro histories be about events?

1 comment:

  1. It probably depends on how you define microhistory. I remember reading somewhere that typically they are restricted to a single person, place, or event. Though those are up to interpretation. I would say yes.

    ReplyDelete